Mucho Polvo - Part Dos

Mucho Polvo - Part Dos

Yesterday’s post was about “polvo,” Spanish for dust, and an alternative process we decided to try to restore our hardwood floors without the dust or expense of full-scale floor refinishing. Here’s how it went:

We started by renting a floor buffer, with 3 different types of pads: “stripping”, “scrubbing” and “polishing.” The floor buffer is a beast. It’s nearly as tall as I am, and weighs over 100 pounds. I noticed the “RZ” on the base, and started calling it “Rozie.” Rozie has a mind of her own, with an enormous rotating base that whirls at 175 RPM. We decided to start with the roughest type of pad – the “stripping” pad. When Bruce started Rozie up, she lurched off across the room, yanking him nearly off his feet. Luckily, releasing the handles stopped the beast in her tracks. Once we both stopped laughing uncontrollably, we looked for instructions about how to tame this monster. There were none. After a few more attempts that looked like slapstick comedy routines, Bruce got the hang of it and was able to guide Rozie up and down the floorboards of the dining room (the secret, apparently, is in NOT trying too hard to “steer” her). The process kicked up a bit of “polvo” but seemed to even out the finished versus unfinished sections of the floor. He made several passes over the entire room, then stopped to let the dust settle for about an hour.

Next, I damp-mopped the floor with a microfiber cleaning pad to pick up all of the dust. This took about four complete passes over the entire floor. I mopped a small section at a time, thoroughly rinsing the microfiber pad after each section. It was hard to fathom where all of that dust was coming from, but finally, the floor looked truly clean and dust-free. Then, I applied the “Pro Shot” liquid, using a lambswool pad (luckily, I already had one from the Bona hardwood floor kit I’d been using in our other house – their floor cleaner is nontoxic and their microfiber mop works really well) The directions said to simply pour a little of the liquid onto a small section of the floor, then spread it evenly with the pad. Section by section, the floor brightened up, and the dents and scratches and badly worn patches seemed to fill in, looking much better. The places where the wood hadn’t been finished seemed to soak the liquid in, but the overall result looked great. I let it dry for over an hour (the directions said it would dry in 45 minutes), then decided to give it a second coat, mostly to touch up the really worn places where the wood had just soaked the finish in. We let the dining room floor dry completely overnight, then repeated the process with the living room floor today. While the overall result isn’t perfect, it’s a huge improvement. The floors have a warm, rich patina, and they’ll be a lot easier to keep clean now with basic sweeping and occasional damp mopping. Best of all, this process kept us from having to deal with the expense, noise and major dust of a full-scale floor refinishing project. All in all, it was well worth the effort! But judge for yourself.

Here’s a link to some before, during and after photos.

Posted by Melanie Tagged as: home renovation

Next: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Previous: Mucho Polvo

Comments